Wednesday, July 24, 2013

REVIEW: Bobbi Brown Long-Wear Even Finish Foundation SPF 15

The Long-Wear Even Finish Foundation with SPF 15 is one of Bobbi Brown's latest liquid foundation releases. It is marketed as a natural-looking and long-wearing (surprise surprise) foundation with an oil-free formula. This makes it ideally suited to oily/combination skin types. The make-up artist at the Bobbi Brown counter also explained that the foundation is gel-based, creating a barrier between your skin and the foundation, which is what makes it supposedly so long-lasting. 

This is what Bobbi Brown has to say about it on her website:

"Finally - a natural-looking and long-wearing foundation. Comfortable and hydrating, this medium to full coverage oil-free formula never looks cakey or masky. Glycerin and shea butter keep skin feeling moisturized while a gel base creates a lightweight finish that stays color-true. Lasts for up to 12 hours even in the most humid conditions. Protects skin from future damage thanks to broad spectrum SPF 15 with antioxidant vitamins C and E."


I picked up the shade "Warm Beige" (shade 3.5) and it's a perfect match for me. For reference, I am a MAC shade NC30 right now and generally in the summer, and  shade NC20/NC25 in the winter. 

As far as packaging goes, I couldn't be happier. The frosted glass bottle looks elegant but still simple and chic, and the pump dispenser works very well, allowing you to control exactly how much foundation you want to pump out. Generally, I use 1.5 pumps to cover my entire face. So far, I've only tried applying it with my fingers and it works perfectly well this way.

Some background on my skin, I have pretty oily skin and it is very acne-prone. I also have quite large pores on my cheeks (yikes!). My ideal foundation is something that is medium to full coverage, and oil-free. It's also very important to me that my skin still looks like skin and not caked with make-up. 

So, after over a month of daily use, here's my verdict on the foundation:

Pros
- excellent at evening out redness, providing a very even skin tone and finish
- feels weightless on the skin
- looks like real skin (as you can see in the picture above, you can't even detect it on my hand once it's blended in)
- doesn't cause any breakouts 
- comes in a wide range of shades (20!)

Cons
- starts to fade after about 6 hours, meaning that my acne-scars start to show through the foundation, requiring some touch-up (which I'm usually too lazy to do!)
- the hefty price tag (HK$420)

Lastly, I can't say much about the moisturising claims, as I've never had any issues with dryness. This is something that will have to be tested by someone with a drier skin type. However, I can say that the foundation has never made my skin drier than it normally is. 

Overall, a solid foundation especially if you have oily, acne-prone skin. To prolong the wear of this foundation, I would suggest using a primer underneath. I found that it lasted much longer on my skin when I layered it on top of the BareMinerals Prime Time foundation primer.

Thanks for dropping by! Feel free to leave your thoughts in the comments below :) We'd be happy to have a chat! 

Meanwhile, check out our instagram for regular updates: http://instagram.com/primpprimepose


S

PRODUCT REVIEWED:

No comments:

Post a Comment